Pageviews last month

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ENDA: Spelling it Out!

Dear Congressman Wamp:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my request that, in your representation of me and other Tennessee citizens, you vote to uphold those qualities that make America such a wonderful place; namely: equality, opportunity, and self-sufficiency.

I am also thrilled to see that you are of the opinion that the Constitution affords each person equal standing in the eyes of the law. I take your statements in the message below to mean you will not be voting for any constitutional amendments that may restrict personal liberties or equalities. I would also read your response to mean that you will vote in favor of providing same sex partners with rights equivalent to those of their heterosexual counterparts.

Congressman Wamp, as an American who is educated, pays taxes, and holds a professional job in your district, please let me assure you my right to earn a living and my ability to pay taxes are threatened by ignorance in the workplace every day. This does not mean I, or others, should run and hide or fear retribution for who God made us. While we do not yet have definitive proof, all genetic studies point to the fact that homosexuality is determined by a specific genome coding, activated by endocrine triggers.

Now, I can not choose whether or not I like men or women, nor can I choose the color of my skin, but I can choose to fight for the rights of every American, whether they be black, white, hispanic, gay, straight, male or female. And sometimes minorities in society require— and deserve— the aid of the blind, impartial law.

I can not, with any greater urgency, encourage you to speak with citizens in your district who fight discrimination in the work place daily. Many of them, in fact, work in government offices and departments. For your argument against voting for equality in the workplace, you sight that the law and constitution is already on my side; if so, why is it not protecting the very people who work for the government directly?

Congressman Wamp, I am happy to speak with you regarding this or any other subject. I sincerely hope that I may be able to help sustain a dialogue so that all of your citizens are represented equally and fully.

Best regards,
Chris Dutton


Subject: Message from Congressman Zach Wamp
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:58:14 -0400


Dear Chris:

No one should ever have to face discrimination for any reason. Federal, state, and local laws provide protection of life and liberty for all United States citizens. The Constitution guarantees protections for each of us, and the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of these protections over and over again.

A society free from discrimination is a goal we share even though we may differ on what is necessary to achieve it. Unfortunately, passing more laws does not guarantee intolerance. The law and the constitution are already on your side.


WarmestRegards,
Zach Wamp
Member of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!